House Main Line Dos & Don'ts

Water Supply Water Supply Issues

If you have a plumbing problem that requires you to shut your water off and your house valve is broken or will not shut-off, you must call the Water Utility Division for assistance to shut the water off at the street. This includes repairs to your house main line and applies even if you hire a professional plumber to assist with your plumbing service.

Anything in the meter box at the street is city property. Only authorized city personnel are allowed to shut-off the valve in the meter box. If you or your plumber attempt to turn off the street side valve in the meter box and it breaks or is damaged, you will receive a bill for repairs. The average cost for these repairs is $1,500.

Contact Information

The Water Utility Division has a 24-hour standby program and there is always somebody available to turn-on/off your water. This includes weekends and holidays. When you call the after hours phone number, the Police Department will contact Water Division personnel on your behalf. Make sure to provide the Police Department with both your address and telephone number.


The water connection fee during regular business hours is $40.00. After hours, the fee is $225.00.