- Public Works
- Trash & Recycling
- Construction & Demolition Recycling
Construction & Demolition Recycling
Recycle Your Construction Waste Material
Did you know waste material generated from your job-site can be recycled? Waste generated in California from construction sites makes up approximately 22% of total refuse. The California Integrated Waste Management Board Act of 1989 (AB 939) mandates all jurisdictions to divert at least 50% of discarded materials from landfill disposal. The City of Monterey Park is required to implement the Debris Management Program. The California Building Code 2016 Edition requires that all project applicants recycle 65% of waste generated for construction projects.
An application with the recycling plan for the project must be submitted, as well as a subsequent final report. The final report must include the appropriate weight tickets from all recycling facilities used. The most common materials are: concrete, wood, drywall, asphalt shingles, and asphalt pavement. Failure to submit the listed documents may result in a delay for the final inspection of the project. Access the debris management report (PDF) here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: During City Hall closure due to COVID-19, you may email the complete report to Public Works Department via email at PublicWorks@montereypark.ca.gov.
The debris management report is a two part application with the following requirements. If your job is:
- Residential or Commercial (new, addition, or alteration) regardless of square footage.
- Complete PART ONE of report. If you use the City’s franchise service collector, attach a receipt from either Athens Services or Ware Disposal to PART ONE of report and return completed form to Public Works Department. Keep a copy of the form and receipt for your records.
- Roofing materials including removal, repair, and/or replacement and/or Household Hazardous Waste (HHW), you only need to check the appropriate box and return PART ONE of report to Public Works Department and you are finished.
- If you are self-hauling the waste material, you must complete PART TWO as well as PART ONE. Submit Part Two prior to final inspection to Engineering Division within Public Works Department. Failure to complete PART TWO will result in a $500 cash security performance bond for your next project and the inability of pulling a permit for one.
Any applicant who contracts Athens Services or Ware Disposal is only required to complete PART ONE. Athens Services and Ware Disposal are the city's contract refuse collectors and all recycling information from waste materials is directly reported to the City. Please contact Athens Services at 888-336-6100 or Ware Disposal at 877-714-9273 to sign up for service.
As of June 01, 2007, Municipal Code 6.08.150 states no commercial and/or industrial business within the city shall retain the services of any collector other than a franchise service collector (Athens Services or Ware Disposal). An exception is the Debris Management Program whereby the contractor self-hauls his/her waste material from the job-site. Per the city's Municipal Code 16.13.010 that incorporates the California Green Building Standards Code 2016 Edition, at least 65% of waste must be documented as being reused at the job-site and/or disposed at a state approved recycling facility.
For more information please visit the C & D Recycling Facilities in Los Angeles County or contact the Engineering Division at 626-307-1320.