Can you operate a business in your home?

Yes it is allowed, with approval from the City for a Home Occupation Permit.  

Home occupations are permitted in the R-1, R-2, and R-3 Zones subject to obtaining a Home Occupation permit from the Planning Division.

Permitted Home Occupations. The following businesses are permitted with a valid Home Occupation permit:

(a) Office use;

(b) Mail ordering;

(c) Home crafts such as model making, basket weaving.

Home Occupations Prohibited. Permitted home occupations may not in any event be deemed to include the following:

(a) Auto repair;

(b) Barber shop or beauty salon;

(c) Carpentry work;

(d) Dance instructions;

(e) Funeral chapel or funeral home;

(f) Gift shop;

(g) Medical or dental offices, labs, clinics, or hospitals;

(h) Auto, boat and trailer painting;

(i) Photo studio;

(j) Private schools;

(k) Renting of equipment and/or trailers;

(l) Appliance repairs;

(m) Eating establishment;

(n) Kennel;

(o) Tailors, dressmakers, upholstery;

(p) Service uses, personal and professional;

(q) Such other uses that may generate excessive pedestrian or vehicle traffic and that may be obnoxious or a nuisance to adjacent residents such as noise, odor, or appearance as determined by the City Planner, or that violate the use limitations provided in subsection (5) of this section.

Show All Answers

1. Local Utility Companies Serving Monterey Park
2. Can I remain anonymous when I a report a violation to the City?
3. How do I report graffiti?
4. How can I dispose of bulky items and/or furniture left on the sidewalk or curb?
5. How do I report overgrown vegetation and/or weeds?
6. How to report trash, junk, overgrown weeds and debris on properties along the freeway?
7. How do I report trees growing near power lines?
8. Where can I park recreational vehicles, boats and trailers in a residential area?
9. Where can residents place their trash bins?
10. Can you park vehicles on the lawn at a residential property?
11. Can you operate a business in your home?
12. What are the hours allowed for construction?
13. How to I report issues with mold?